Thursday, January 20, 2011

Saga of a crazed working mom

I usually feel like I am barely keeping it together as a full time working mom. I am perpetually, embarrassingly disorganized. Tonight was a prime example of how insane it's gotten.

I had to take a $5500 check to the bank today. I had it among a pile of papers and some other things in a bag to take to work. So this morning I backed out of my ice-rink driveway in the pitch dark of 7:00 and put some mail in the mailbox. I had to first take out the mail from last night that we'd never brought in. In doing so I absently noticed a piece of paper flit into the street. I thought it was that extra piece of paper on the Netflix envelope (I'd put a Netflix in the mailbox). I was in a hurry, Elizabeth was in the car, it was freezing, I was walking on ice in high heeled boots, and I thought it was just an empty Netflix thing so I left for work!

(you see where this is going...)

I made my trip to the bank midday and deposited a couple other checks but realized I didn't have the $5500 one. I figured I'd left it at home. Day continued as always. Much later, as I was getting Elizabeth ready for bed, I remembered the piece of paper I'd seen flit into the icy street. OH S****.

I'll spare the details of how I tried to explain the situation to Craig without him killing me. So, at about 8:30 after I'd gotten Elizabeth to bed (starving, exhausted, no dinner, a houseful of chores awaiting me), I tromped outside with a flashlight. Inching along our icy road, I must have looked like a bag lady--I was wearing my down coat and sneakers with my long skirt I'd worn to work, shuffling along the road with a flashlight. I thought I was doomed.

And then, I saw it in the snow in our yard. PRAISE GOD. I still can't believe I did that or how bad my disorganization has gotten. Will I ever be sane again???? I can't take my own utter airheadedness...not sure how many brain cells I have left!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my! I was so worried for you as I read this! I'm glad that the check was still there when you went to look for it!

Unknown said...

It’s a good thing that the check wasn’t moved! That was such a large amount of money; it would have been such a heartbreaking loss. I suggest you file your bank stuff separately from all your other papers to be sure that they don’t mix with other things or get lost. For example, you can buy money clips to hold checks that you’re going to deposit so that they don’t fly away.

-- Harriett Faulks