Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Balancing...again.

I have been pretty delinquent lately about keeping up with this blog. 3 weeks ago I returned to work for another school year. It was a glorious summer--Elizabeth and I got to know each other so well! And just when I felt we were getting on a pretty good schedule, everything changed when I went back to work.

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I do enjoy my job--even now, when pretty much every day has been CRAZY. Our middle school absorbed many students from a recently closed school, we inherited two new high-needs classrooms, and referrals for special ed evaluations are already coming out of the woodwork...BUT, I thrive on the hectic pace and the days go quickly.

It's too much, though. I feel I hardly get enough time with Elizabeth. Things might improve once our weekends quiet down; every weekend since I went back to work has been packed with family events and/or traveling.

And on the homefront...oy. My boss has an analogy she likes to share with us about the crazy multi-tasking nature of our jobs: It's like we are juggling many balls, some are plastic, some are glass. We have to make sure we don't drop the glass balls. I'm definitely juggling over here, and fortunately haven't shattered any glass balls yet...I did double-book myself for 2 doctors' appointments tomorrow, so Oops there, but easily fixable :) My house constantly looks like a bomb went off, and it's taken me 4 days to get laundry put away.

I need to center myself and focus on what is truly important. I ache with guilt that I take so many fewer pictures of E. these days...and what I have taken, it takes me eons to get them loaded on the computer, much less Facebook, much less this blog! And my sleep is seriously being sacrificed. Every night I tell myself I WILL be in bed by 9...and here I am, well past 10, blogging away. Elizabeth wakes up at least twice a night (sigh, another post for another time), so I'm running on fumes. I'm fighting my second cold in 3 weeks. Sheesh.

So...we're all adjusting to the new routine, and it WILL be okay. I try to make the verse from Philippians my mantra: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything through prayer and supplication make your requests be made known to God." I can do this. We will do this. Elizabeth is happy, healthy, and well-cared for each day. Right now, that's all we need to get by.

No comments: