Friday, February 12, 2010

The "new normal"

My mom was wonderful enough to stay with us for nearly a week after Elizabeth was born (my dad and sister on a couple of those days, too). When the time came for them to depart, I was pretty scared to be suddenly and completely on my own during the days with the baby, but I confessed to my family I was ready to get back to normal. I quickly corrected myself: not necessarily "back to normal," but ready to start the "new normal."

So what is the "new normal"? Week 2 of Craig and me being completely on our own with Elizabeth is winding down, and I'm finally feeling like we might be establishing our groove. Week 1 on our own, last week, was rough. I was still restricted from the c-section from driving and even using the stairs more than once a day, so I was basically confined to the first floor and, more specifically, the family room sofa. I discovered "30 Rock" (Netflix on-demand is awesome!), which got me through the lonely days, which was good; I discovered I couldn't make myself nap during the days, no matter how tired I was, which was bad. I loved getting to know my daughter, but the week was desolate and lonely, being cooped up!

Week 2, now winding down, has been much better. On Monday my doctor cleared me to drive and use the stairs. I've watched much less TV and read more books (in between taking care of my daughter...I'm making myself sound like I retired!) and have found that keeping active during the days, rather than forcing myself to nap, lifts my spirits. The best part about the week was that I got to get out of the house with Elizabeth, on our own, for the first time. Our first errand day involved stops at the bank, Walgreens, the township office, and the library. She slept through it all. I've found that schlepping a car seat is tough, but not as tough as I'd feared, since as a school psychologist I am a schlepper by trade! :)

The "new normal" has me daring to believe that Elizabeth is establishing a bit of a routine. Sleeping, for instance: for several nights now, she's awaken once an hour two or three times, and then sleeps for a good 3 to 4 hour stretch until about 6:00 or 7:00. Her most awake times seem to be late morning and late afternoon.

Of course, the "groove" I wonder if we are setting into is bound to take twists and turns! Tonight Elizabeth will sleep in her crib in her bedroom for the first time. While I was first-floor-bound, she slept in her Pack 'n' Play next to the family room couch, where I slept; we've done that for over two weeks. But now, with the weekend in front of us, we've decided it's a good time to take the plunge and put her in her bed. I'm sure I will hear her when she needs me, but now I will have to walk into a separate room to check on her...this will be harder on me than on anyone else...so maybe "routine" is out the window again, for now!

No comments: